Take the jump to see just what I learned from the TOP COW panel I was able to attend thanks to an unnecessary amount of overcrowding at the New York Comic Con.
So before I told you we weren’t able to cover any of the comic movie panels. Well as it turns out, it seems as this ended up being a good thing. No one on the HULK panel revealed anything major, and we wouldn’t have video of the Tony Stark scene they revealed, so “no harm/ no foul” there. After checking out various other comic news websites to see how the SPIRIT panel went, I was a bit perplexed, as no one seemed to have any coverage. Then I saw the teaser trailer on MTV. Yeah, um… digitally inserted ties? Really? I’m still going to see it, but any hope I had of this being more than a “meh” on the cool scale went right out the window upon seeing that teaser. Sorry Frank.
Now the good things: I got to attend the low key TOP COW comics panel you’re reading about now, as well as an opportunity to cover the jam packed VENTURE BROTHERS panel (which will be up later).
I’m going to be honest with everyone. I don’t really know a lot about the TOP COW line. In fact, I pretty much only know the actual title names. Couldn’t tell you a thing about the stories they have running right now. That’s the problem with having to pay rent: I don’t have enough money to buy every book, no matter how great it might be.
After having attended this panel, TOP COW certainly caught my attention. Here are some of the highlights I managed to pick up. In attendance were Ron Marz, Stjepan Sejic, Seth Green, Phil Hester and Hugh Sterbakov, among several others whose names I missed arriving to the panel a tad late.
- There is a DARKNESS video game sequel in the works. They made the announcement saying, “We can’t say DARKNESS and video game sequel in the same sentence. So, DARKNESS. Wink. Sequel.”
- Phil Hester promised in the upcoming months a villain worthy of Jackie Estacado (DARKNESS) would be making an appearance. “Knowing what type of ‘hero’ Jackie is you can imagine the type of villain we’ve got coming.”
- There’s a FRESHMAN summer special coming out. In addition, by the time the San Diego Con comes, there should be a FRESHMAN hardcover collection available.
- Randy Green (DARKCHYLDE) has a new 5 or 6 issue comic in the works called STARFALL. The publisher stated the deal they made with Randy was for there to be 5 completely penciled issues before they even solicited page one. Expect this book to begin shipping sometime in 2009.
- Ron Marz’s DRAGON PRINCE, a book originally shopped to DARK HORSE,will finally come out. Penciled by Lee Moder, the book focuses on ancient Chinese mysticism in a modern day setting. With dragons. We were told fans of Marz’s SAMURAI: HEAVEN and EARTH would find this title immediately up their alley.
- There is a strong interest in WITCHBLADE, MAGDALENA and APHRODITE IX as video game properties. Surprisingly, the title with a game in the works right now: HUNTER/KILLER.
- Following that news, they revealed HUNTER/KILLER shall return as the publisher has big plans for the title in 2009.
- There will also be more MAGDALENA on the way when Marz has the time. Keu Cha is working on a fully painted one-shot, that when completed should lead into a new series. This will of course be well down the road.
- Phil Hester will be doing all the layouts for BROKEN TRINITY.
- Phil reunites with Ande Parks on MAGDALENA/DAREDEVIL.
- In closing, they wrapped with the announcement their INFERNO story finally has all the legal issues sorted out, and will be finished out next year.
Stay tuned for more from the con, and don’t forget to check in with Gamervison.com for any updates we get on TOP COW’s video game properties.