The Amazing Spider-Man will soon be asking the same question. This May, “American Son” kicks off with Amazing Spider-Man #595. We’ll throw some names against the wall to see if any stick.
1. Harry Osborn – Could there be a more “way too obvious” choice than Norman’s son? So the image above clearly wants you to immediately put one and one together to arrive at person that could keep it all in the family, so to speak. The brain trust behind the mostly weekly Spider-stories has delivered more surprising reveals than Harry would be, so I’m thinking Osborn’s kid is the longshot.
2. Flash Thompson – Nobody loves Spider-Man more than Flash. Of course, Flash doesn’t currently have the use of his legs. But what if he was given the opportunity to walk again, and be a hero at the same time, thanks to a special armored suit? Come on, you’re telling me that doesn’t seem possible? Granted, they did make a pretty big deal about the story that Flash’s encounter in the Middle East was based on, but it wouldn’t be entirely out of character for him to jump at the chance to be a superhero.
3. Vin Gonzales – Maybe part of his plea deal involved something along the lines of “volunteering” for this job. We haven’t seen him actually arrive at prison yet have we? There’s nothign here indicating that this character will be anti-Spider-Man, so it’s not like this guy is supposed to have a grudge against our favorite wall crawler.
4. Gabriel Stacy/Osborn – Oh, you thought I forgot all about the twins Norman and Gwen had that were featured during the “Sins Past” arc. Well, unluckily for you, I did remember that both of them were still alive, and that Gabriel managed to vanish without a trace after his last appearance in the follow-up, “Sins Remembered.” It’d be a bit of a stretch since it seemed that Gabriel and his sister, Sarah, were swept under the retcon rug, but anything is possible. Right?
5. Anyone Else - It really could be just about anyone, and I’m looking forward to seeing who ends up being the man behind that terrible looking helmet.
Any educated guesses out there?