This week the PlayStation comic store will have released 1000 comics, and even though I haven’t been keeping track, I’m guessing about eighty percent of them have been Marvel. Not that that’s a bad thing.
Now the service has only been available for a little over two months, and already the catalog is robust enough that it would rival even some of the most impressive physical comic collections. With another few weeks, the offerings online may even surpass my own private collection, but that’s neither here nor there. The most important thing is that publishers have found a way to expand their potential market, and they’ve done it in a way that still preserves the brick and mortar comic shops. While I’ve voiced my gripes about the lack of publisher variety week to week on the PlayStation comic update, the comics offered are generally good reads. This week, you’ve got a heaping helping of Tales of Suspense, including the very comic where Iron Man first appeared. There’s also a pretty decent sampling of both the Wolverine and X-Men ongoings, with the main appeal of the Wolverine books being some Simone Bianchi art. His style may not be for everyone, but I happen to think it’s pretty cool. IDW has a decent showing of their monthly books, though you either have to be a pretty big GI Joe fan or a Transformers fan to care. I’m not really either, but I can tell you that GI Joe: Cobra is still an excellent read regardless of being a book based on an action figure line.
Check out the rest of the week’s releases below, and see if any of the 1000 comics available appeal to you.
- 2000AD Prog # 1669 - $ 1.99
- Army of Two # 2 $ 1.99
- Donald Duck and the Unexpected Guest - $ 0.99
- Donald Duck in: “Gone With The Wind” # 2 - $ 1.99
- Dreamland Chronicles # 1 $ 1.99
- G.I. Joe # 7 $ 1.99
- G.I. Joe: Cobra # 6 - $ 1.99
- G.I. Joe Origins # 7 - $ 1.99
- G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes # 1 - $ 1.99
- Locke & Key: Head Games # 4 - $ 0.99
- Scrooge McDuck and the Haunted Cellphone # 0 - $ 0.99
- Star Trek: Nero # 1 - $ 1.99
- Tales of Suspense (1963)#39-53 – $1.99 (each)
- Transformers: All Hail Megatron # 14 - $ 1.99
- Transformers # 2 - $ 1.99
- Transformers: Tales of the Fallen # 1 - $ 1.99
- Ultraheroes # 2 - $ 0.99
- Weekly World News # 1 - $ 1.99
- Wolverine (2003) # 50-55 – $1.99 (each)
- X-Men (2004) # 199-204 – $1.99 (each)
- X-Mickey: The Glove # 8 - $ 1.99